Posted by Dave Burke, VP of Engineering
As we speak we’re releasing the third Beta of Android 13, taking us into the ultimate section of our cycle the place we’re specializing in polish and efficiency. With Android 13, we’ve constructed on our core themes of privateness and safety, developer productiveness, and pill and huge display assist.
There’s rather a lot to discover in Android 13, from privateness options like the brand new notification permission and picture picker, to productiveness options like themed app icons and per-app language assist, in addition to trendy requirements like HDR video, Bluetooth LE Audio, and MIDI 2.0 over USB. We’ve additionally prolonged the newer updates we made in 12L, supplying you with higher instruments to benefit from the 270+ million pill and huge display gadgets in energetic use.
Beta 3 takes Android 13 to Platform Stability, which signifies that the developer APIs and all app-facing behaviors at the moment are last. We’re grateful for all of the suggestions you’ve shared to assist us get thus far! For builders, the main target is now on compatibility testing and high quality as you put together your apps for the official launch later within the yr!
You will get Beta 3 in your Pixel gadget by enrolling right here for over-the-air updates. Should you beforehand enrolled, you’ll mechanically get right now’s replace. You may as well attempt Android 13 Beta on choose gadgets from a number of of our companions – study extra at android.com/beta. Learn on for a fast take a look at how you can get your app prepared, and go to the Android 13 developer website for particulars.
With Beta 3, Android 13 reaches Platform Stability, a milestone which means all app-facing behaviors and APIs, together with the official API Stage 33 SDK and NDK APIs, at the moment are last. So from Beta 3, you possibly can confidently develop and launch your compatibility updates figuring out that the platform received’t change.
We’re asking all app and sport builders to begin your last compatibility testing now and put together to publish your compatibility updates as quickly as doable forward of the ultimate launch.
For all SDK, library, instruments, and sport engine builders, it’s much more necessary to start out testing now and launch your suitable updates as quickly as doable — your downstream app and sport builders could also be blocked till they obtain your updates. So while you’ve launched a suitable replace, be vocal and let your builders know!
App compatibility signifies that your app runs as meant on a brand new model of the platform. With every launch, we make integral adjustments to the platform that enhance privateness and safety and the general consumer expertise throughout the OS. These can have an effect on your apps, so it’s necessary to check your app now, make any updates wanted, and publish a suitable replace to your customers forward of the ultimate launch. It’s a primary however important stage of high quality that your customers will respect as they discover what’s new in Android 13.
To check your app for compatibility, simply set up your manufacturing app from Google Play or different supply onto a tool operating Android 13 Beta 3. Work by means of all the app’s flows and look ahead to purposeful or UI points. Evaluate the habits adjustments to focus your testing. Listed here are some adjustments to look at for:
- Runtime permission for notifications – Android 13 introduces a brand new runtime permission for sending notifications from an app. Ensure you perceive how the brand new permission works, and plan on concentrating on Android 13 (API 33) as quickly as doable. Extra right here.
- Clipboard preview – Make sure that your app hides delicate information in Android 13’s new clipboard preview, comparable to passwords or bank card data. Extra right here.
- JobScheduler prefetch – JobScheduler now tries to anticipate the subsequent time your app will likely be launched and can run any related prefetch jobs forward of that point. Should you use prefetch jobs, take a look at that they’re working as anticipated. Extra right here.
Additionally keep in mind to check the libraries and SDKs in your app for compatibility. Should you discover any points, attempt updating to the most recent model of the library or SDK or reaching out to the developer for assist.
When you’ve revealed the suitable model of your present app, you can begin the course of to replace your app’s targetSdkVersion. Evaluate the habits adjustments for apps concentrating on Android 13 and use the compatibility framework that will help you detect points shortly. Listed here are a number of the adjustments to check for (these apply solely to apps with targetSdkVersion set to API 33 or greater):
- Close by gadget permission for Wi-Fi – Apps that handle a tool’s connections to close by entry factors ought to use a brand new
NEARBY_WIFI_DEVICESruntime permission for Wi-Fi operations like scanning, while not having entry to gadget location. Some Wi-Fi APIs require your app to have this new permission. Extra right here.
- Granular media permissions – In case your app targets Android 13 and reads media information from frequent information storage, you could request a number of of the brand new granular permissions as a substitute of the
READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGEpermission. Extra right here.
- Permission adjustments for physique sensors – Android 13 introduces “whereas in use” entry for physique sensors. In case your app must entry physique sensor data from the background, it should declare a brand new
BODY_SENSORS_BACKGROUNDpermission. Extra right here.
- Intent filters block non-matching intents – In case your app sends an intent to an exported part of one other app concentrating on Android 13 (API 33) or greater, it now must match an intent filter within the receiving app. Extra right here.
- Media controls derived from PlaybackState – Android 13 derives extra media controls from PlaybackState actions, to indicate a richer set of controls which are constant throughout gadget sorts. Make sure that your app handles these adjustments. Extra right here
Tablets and large-screens assist
Android 13 builds on the pill optimizations launched in 12L, in order a part of your testing, ensure your apps look their greatest on tablets and different large-screen gadgets. You possibly can take a look at with the massive screens options by organising an Android emulator in Android Studio, or you need to use a big display gadget from our Android 13 Beta companions. Listed here are some areas to look at for:
- Taskbar interplay – Verify how your app responds when considered with the brand new taskbar on giant screens. Make sure that your app’s UI is not lower off or blocked by the taskbar. Extra right here.
- Multi-window mode – Multi-window mode is now enabled by default for all apps, no matter app configuration, so ensure the app handles split-screen appropriately. You possibly can take a look at by dragging and dropping your app into split-screen mode and adjusting the window measurement. Extra right here.
- Improved compatibility expertise – in case your app isn’t optimized for tablets but, comparable to utilizing a hard and fast orientation or not being resizable, test how your app responds to compatibility mode changes comparable to letterboxing. Extra right here.
- Media projection – In case your app makes use of media projection, test how your app responds whereas enjoying again, streaming, or casting media on giant screens. Make sure you account for gadget posture adjustments on foldable gadgets as properly. Extra right here.
- Digital camera preview – For digicam apps, test how your digicam preview UI responds on giant screens when your app is constrained to a portion of the display in multi-window or split-screen mode. Additionally test how your app responds when a foldable gadget’s posture adjustments. Extra right here.
You possibly can learn extra concerning the pill options in Android 13 and what to check right here.
Get began with Android 13!
As we speak’s Beta launch has every thing it’s worthwhile to take a look at your app and check out the Android 13 options. Simply enroll your Pixel gadget to get the replace over-the-air. To get began, arrange the Android 13 SDK.
You may as well take a look at your app with Android 13 Beta on gadgets from a number of of our companions. Go to android.com/beta to see the complete listing of companions, with hyperlinks to their websites for particulars on their supported gadgets and Beta builds, beginning with Beta 1. Every companion will deal with their very own enrollments and assist, and supply the Beta updates to you immediately. For even broader testing, you possibly can attempt Android 13 Beta 3 on Android GSI pictures, and for those who don’t have a tool, you possibly can take a look at on the Android Emulator.
For full particulars on Android 13, go to the Android 13 developer website.