Posted by Maru Ahues Bouza, Director, Android Developer Relations
We’re only a few weeks away from the official launch of Android 13! As we put the ending touches on the subsequent model of Android, immediately we’re bringing you Beta 4, a last replace in your testing and improvement. Now’s the time to ensure your apps are prepared!
There’s so much to discover in Android 13, from privateness options like the brand new notification permission and photograph picker, to productiveness options like themed app icons and per-app language help, in addition to trendy requirements like HDR video, Bluetooth LE Audio, and MIDI 2.0 over USB. We’ve additionally prolonged the updates we made in 12L, supplying you with higher instruments to make the most of pill and enormous display units.
You may strive Beta 4 immediately in your Pixel gadget by enrolling right here for over-the-air updates. When you beforehand enrolled, you’ll robotically get immediately’s replace. You may as well get Android 13 Beta on choose units from a number of of our companions. Go to the Android 13 developer website for particulars.
Look ahead to extra info on the official Android 13 launch coming quickly!
What’s in Beta 4?
At the moment’s replace features a launch candidate construct of Android 13 for Pixel units and the Android Emulator. We reached Platform Stability at Beta 3, so all app-facing surfaces are last, together with SDK and NDK APIs, app-facing system behaviors, and restrictions on non-SDK interfaces. With these and the most recent fixes and optimizations, Beta 4 offers you every part you want to full your testing.
Get your apps prepared!
With the official Android 13 launch simply forward, we’re asking all app and sport builders to full your last compatibility testing and publish your compatibility updates forward of the ultimate launch. For SDK, library, instruments, and sport engine builders, it’s necessary to launch your suitable updates as quickly as attainable — your downstream app and sport builders could also be blocked till they obtain your updates.
To check your app for compatibility, simply set up it on a tool working Android 13 Beta 4 and work by way of the app flows, on the lookout for any useful or UI points. Evaluate the Android 13 habits adjustments for all apps to deal with areas the place your app could possibly be affected. Listed here are a number of the prime adjustments to check:
- Runtime permission for notifications – Android 13 introduces a brand new runtime permission for sending notifications from an app. Ensure you perceive how the brand new permission works, and plan on concentrating on Android 13 (API 33) as quickly as attainable. Extra right here.
- Clipboard preview – Make certain your app hides delicate knowledge in Android 13’s new clipboard preview, reminiscent of passwords or bank card info. Extra right here.
- JobScheduler prefetch – JobScheduler now tries to anticipate the subsequent time your app shall be launched and can run any related prefetch jobs forward of that point. When you use prefetch jobs, check that they’re working as anticipated. Extra right here.
Keep in mind to check the libraries and SDKs in your app for compatibility. When you discover any SDK points, strive updating to the most recent model of the SDK or reaching out to the developer for assist.
When you’ve printed the suitable model of your present app, you can begin the course of to replace your app’s targetSdkVersion. Evaluate the habits adjustments that apply when your app targets Android 13 and use the compatibility framework to assist detect points shortly.
Tablets and large-screens help
Android 13 builds on the pill optimizations launched in 12L, in order a part of your testing, be sure your apps look their finest on tablets and different large-screen units. You may check large-screen options by establishing an Android emulator in Android Studio, or you should use a big display gadget from our Android 13 Beta companions. Listed here are some areas to look at for:
- Taskbar interplay – Verify how your app responds when seen with the brand new taskbar on giant screens. Make certain your app’s UI is not lower off or blocked by the taskbar. Extra right here.
- Multi-window mode – Multi-window mode is now enabled by default for all apps, no matter app configuration, so be sure the app handles split-screen appropriately. You may check by dragging and dropping your app into split-screen mode and adjusting the window dimension. Extra right here.
- Improved compatibility expertise – in case your app isn’t optimized for tablets but, reminiscent of utilizing a set orientation or not being resizable, test how your app responds to compatibility mode changes reminiscent of letterboxing. Extra right here.
- Media projection – In case your app makes use of media projection, test how your app responds whereas taking part in again, streaming, or casting media on giant screens. Make sure to account for gadget posture adjustments on foldable units as properly. Extra right here.
- Digicam preview – For digital camera apps, test how your digital camera preview UI responds on giant screens when your app is constrained to a portion of the display in multi-window or split-screen mode. Additionally test how your app responds when a foldable gadget’s posture adjustments. Extra right here.
You may learn extra in regards to the pill options in Android 13 and what to check right here.
Get began with Android 13
At the moment’s Beta 4 launch has every part you want to check your app and take a look at the Android 13 options. Simply enroll your Pixel gadget to get the replace over-the-air. To get began, arrange the Android 13 SDK.
You may as well check your app with Android 13 Beta on units from a number of of our companions. Go to android.com/beta to see the total record of companions, with hyperlinks to their websites for particulars on their supported units and Beta builds, beginning with Beta 1. Every accomplice will deal with their very own enrollments and help, and supply the Beta updates to you straight. For even broader testing, you may strive Beta 4 on Android GSI photographs, and in the event you don’t have a tool, you may check on the Android Emulator. For full particulars on Android 13, go to the Android 13 developer website.
Look ahead to info on the official Android 13 launch coming within the weeks forward! Till then, be at liberty to proceed sharing your suggestions by way of our hotlists for platform points, app compatibility points, and third-party SDK points.
An enormous thanks to our developer neighborhood for serving to form the Android 13 launch! You’ve given us hundreds of bug stories and shared insights which have helped us optimize APIs, enhance options, repair vital bugs, and on the whole make the platform higher for customers and builders.
We’re wanting ahead to seeing your apps on Android 13!